The way here
After filling my small student room for years with sound from my old 5.1 system of a very well-known brand, something better had to be found for my first real living room. 5.1 was out of the question because of the room layout and it also did not suit my taste at all.
So it happened that I began, gathering information on "real" loudspeakers and visited the one or other forums ; -). There, the designs by Lautsprecherbau.de quickly caught my eye.
Unfortunately, I live extremely far away from Rhine and Ruhr which got in the way of a listening appointment. I thus searched for a friendly community member in my vicinity where I could listen to the SB 36. Inspired by the forceful and rich sound, I was quickly fired up to make something similar myself. I had long since stopped considering loudspeakers off the shelf.
Unfortunately I do not have as an extensive tool collection as many others here; I also lack a suitable place where I can, for example, ply my router. So after an estimate by the local cabinetmaker, I had the housing parts made mitred out of 19mm MDF. An unbeatable price and as it turned out, top-notch workmanship
Gluing, soldering and painting
First I quickly soldered the frequency crossovers together and screwed them to the lowest bracing panel as recommended. So I was able to incorporate the crossovers with cables directly into the housing while gluing it together saving myself the subsequent fumbling around. It is really tight in the Elip 2. Luckily I (still) live alone allowing me to convert my entire balcony into a workshop.
The gluing together turned out to be pretty easy. From the many sets of instructions, I knew exactly where I had to be careful and the flat dowels simplified the centering of the boards immensely. Everything fit together perfectly. In retrospect, however, I realized that in addition to the tension straps, some clamps would not have been bad to press the front panel and the recessed back together evenly. Thus, I had to fill in several small gaps. For this, I used simple MDF putty out of the tube. This could not be seen and was very easy to use and polish.
After I had filled and pre-polished (180) everything with the random orbital sander (unfortunately too little), I did the priming. Here, I can express recommend Hesse Lignal hydro-insulating filler HP 670-9343. I applied three layers of primer with it with a polishing between each layer (240) and to date (four months), no protruding edges have formed on the finished loudspeaker. The stuff is easy to use and polish. After the final polishing of the primer (320), I then painted two layers of white matt Schöner Wohnen paint onto the primed housing using the fine foam material roller. It came out that a little experience is helpful for here. The edges in particular proved to be a problem. Generally, I can recommend the Schöner Wohnen paint. It goes on well and the final result is impressive in spite of a small goof on my part. Here again, I would like to give you the following advice: Strength lies in calmness and the first cut is crucial! You can't polish enough away at the beginning especially on the cutting surfaces. After the priming, everything should really be super smooth; otherwise you see everything afterwards. Better to polish it once again more coarsely and prime it again.
Next time, I will use multiplex beech and varnish it with clear varnish - looks super and takes ALOT less time (however costs more) ...
During the housing construction, it turned out that the delivery time for the GDS 182 could not be kept. The end of April became "maybe" the end of June. Intertechnik was, however, very obliging and after some time, all the parts were complete. Finally I was able to complete my new treasures.
The last mile
Still today, I ask myself whether I did the right thing with the Sonofil. I stowed all four packages in one box each and pre-drilled the holes for the chassis as recommended. At the same time I discovered that a rotating drill and Sonofil did not go together...
After that was settled and the cotton wadding was stowed again in its allotted place, quickly solder the chassis (tweeter reverse-poled as described in the construction plan) and build them in. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of this process because my darlings were almost finished and I was so excited that I simply forgot.
Set them up quickly, lay the cables and then the big moment finally arrived. The loudspeakers, which I had not yet heard, delivered their first tones!! Everything functioned correctly first time, the crossovers were soldered and the chassis all active. Relief.
And the sound: a little exhausted, a bit dusty and also a little sweaty, I plopped down on my sofa and just listened. Wow. I was surprised right away by the even more pronounced bass. I had not expected that at all. Also the presence and clarity of the tweeters made me smile which had already spread all over my face. Since then, I listen to music a whole different way. It was, however, sometimes difficult to explain that it is not the fault of the self-built boxes when a guest inserts his alleged favourite song and is not immediately blasted away by a deep bass blubbering as with the home 150-euro movie sound system.
A friend who is a metal worker made the feet. They are made of solid stainless steel and weigh about eight kilos (around 18 pounds) each... I think they really stand out :)
All in all, I can say that the Elip 2 project was absolutely successful. The loudspeakers are a lot of fun whether with movies or music! It will certainly not be the last project I do in this direction.